Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  MyStuff 5.21a Bug and Feature Posts Only

Page 24 of 80
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
mstombs
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 683
mstombs wrote:
My Toppy found stuck with OFF on the display again - but this time needed the power pulled to recover. I have now deleted remote extender from autostart just to see if anyone complains about the buttons and whether the problem still re-occurs.

Done it again, without Remote Extender, so its either a Mystuff 5.21a problem or hardware?

I will go back to Mystuff 5.2 later, I'm sure I didn't have a problem with that.
mqmatt
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quote
(Apologies if this has already been suggested, I did a quick forum search and didn't come up with anything.)

What I'd really like to see is context sensitive button help on each of the screens - building on what the EPG view does today.
For example, a line of text at the bottom to remind me function of the Slow button (series link), or to highlight the difference between the OK and play buttons on the playback screen.

I'd be more than happy to sacrifice a line or two of channel/recording information to show this information. Just a small feature, but I think it would go a long way to improve usability.

Regards
-Matt
chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9306 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
I think this is already in the wiki. It is in the long term plan to include help but it will be after some other major features have been added

HTH

CW

mike.hinson
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
Hi, this feature request was posted here
Scrib wrote:
My wife often moans (nowt new there then) because there is little to no instructions or help screens within MyStuff.

One example is the archive screen. On this screen it does not tell you what buttons to press to, for example, move a recording or delete it. And this is why she never deletes stuff she records.

Would it be a good idea to have a standard button (i.e. the I button for the sake or argument) that worked on all screens and brought up a new box with a list of available options on that screen.

This would also help reduce clutter on some of the screens that do have options.

What do you think?
Also have a look on the MyStuff Feature Request Wiki & see the comments from the MS Team. Is this close enough to fit your needs? Or do you want to add some detail to the existing request?

/\/\

R2-D2
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
Feature suggestion I've recently started using CTs and it's struck me that the technology might easily be extended from "Record" and "Watch" timers to something like "Interesting". This would not strictly speaking be a timer, but a way of flagging entries in the EPG as "interesting". The EPG would be searched in exactly the same way, but no timers would be set. Instead, the relevant EPG items would be highlighted, maybe in a similar way to the existing C, R and F icons, or maybe by changing the background colour (with maybe different colours for different types of "interesting"?). This way you could see the interesting stuff in the EPG at a glance. Of course, the downside is that people might want to make an awful lot more CTs and start putting a lot of strain on the system...
mqmatt
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick responses; the existing requirement is spot on.
I had a brief scan of the wiki but must have missed that one Embarassed
mike.hinson
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:22 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
Feature suggestion I've recently started using CTs and it's struck me that the technology might easily be extended from "Record" and "Watch" timers to something like "Interesting"....
I like the sound of this, but my existing 60 CTs already take up to 45seconds to search, so the searching would have to get a lot quicker before I could use a feature like this.

I have put it in the Wiki along with a few other updates... Looks like the hot feature since I last did an update is merging of timers for consecutive programs.. Smile

/\/\

mike.hinson
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
iowens wrote:
...I just noticed an issue with moving files to folders. If the file has been "part watched" in the root directory, the info regarding percentage watched all gets cleared back to 0% when ithe file is moved to a different folder. Is this a known issue ?

I should point out that I am still running V5.2, am just about to download the latest version...
Hi, this problem does not happen for me on v5.21a unless I use the native Toppy archive to move the file, which I would not concider a fault as it is operating outside of MyStuff.

/\/\

iowens
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
mike.hinson wrote:
iowens wrote:
...I just noticed an issue with moving files to folders. If the file has been "part watched" in the root directory, the info regarding percentage watched all gets cleared back to 0% when ithe file is moved to a different folder. Is this a known issue ?

I should point out that I am still running V5.2, am just about to download the latest version...
Hi, this problem does not happen for me on v5.21a unless I use the native Toppy archive to move the file, which I would not concider a fault as it is operating outside of MyStuff.

/\/\

Just checked myself since upgrading to 5.21a and it works fine now for me too. Thanks
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
mike.hinson wrote:
I have put it in the Wiki along with a few other updates... Looks like the hot feature since I last did an update is merging of timers for consecutive programs.. Smile

It does seem like there's a bug in MyStuff at the moment, since the behaviour on consecutive timers is not predictable. The MyStuff options state that it will always remove padding in order to set timers on the same channel, and BobD has stated that it tries first to set the timer without padding, then tries again with padding. However, I've experienced MyStuff doing both things: removing the overlapping padding on both recordings and leaving it intact. The former I see regularly on timers set by CTs, and the latter I noticed recently on one-off timer set on a programme after a CT timer. And on both examples there were no other recordings set for around the same time, so naively I would have expected the padding to be left intact since the Toppy is quite capable of recording two things at once...

Maybe MyStuff is tripping over a bug in the timer setting API (maybe trying to set timers too quickly?). I've got some evidence from FpLogger about timer activity (albeit sampled every 30 seconds or so, I think), if that would be helpful to anybody.
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I've just been bitten by a bug in the CT handling, I think. I was tinkering with the CT order (seeing if that affected the padding for the CTs for consecutive programmes on the same channel) and I just happened to notice that the next due timer had suddenly been changed into a "!". The Toppy was currently recording ITV1 and this timer was due on Five. There were no other recordings due (the event from one CT that would have clashed had been exempted many days ago and was still exempt). This was 3 minutes before the timer was due to fire (5 minutes before the programme -- I have -2 minutes padding). So I went to edit the CT and reran it (Search This) -- I think I got a warning about clashing with an active recording (although it wasn't clashing...?!?). I checked the timer list and it was now back on. I was a little relieved. But then I exited the timer list back to TV (another round of "Searching..." appeared). Just in case, I checked the timer list. It was now "!" again. Still 2 minutes to go before it should fire, so I tried again -- same result. Now it was too late so I edited the timer directly and had to decrease the padding by a minute. It's now recording. Phew! (Again, I've probably got some sampling of the timer setting activity in the FpLog if that's useful.)
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5953 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
IIRC BobD relies completely on the TAP API for timer handling. In addition editing the CT within 3 minutes of it's start time is a limitation set so that the Toppy has "time" to get itself in order to start the recording.

The clash warning MS provides when a timer has already started is because we cannot currently adjust an ongoing recording via the API, and so we use the warning instead.

Lastly, getting the Toppy to add padding to both back2back timers on the same channel, is one of those mysteries that is not limited to MS, it can happen with a TAPless Toppy too.

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
per-Sony-fied
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jan 2007 Posts: 114 Location: Essex
mqmatt wrote:
(Apologies if this has already been suggested, I did a quick forum search and didn't come up with anything.)

What I'd really like to see is context sensitive button help on each of the screens - building on what the EPG view does today.
For example, a line of text at the bottom to remind me function of the Slow button (series link), or to highlight the difference between the OK and play buttons on the playback screen.

While you are asking something different here it coincides (I think) with my idea to avoid confusement (hence your need for help) to have a pop up menu option when a recoding is selected so you don't need to constantly remember what the OK & Play functions do.
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5953 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
The problem with pop-up's is that we'd need to make them configurable so that users comfortable with the 2 options for playing back a recording are not constantly interrupted. That's a lot of effort for something that will become second nature after a short period anyway.

We already do have planned a method of bringing up some kind of crib sheet for any given screen you're looking at, but we've not really considered just yet, how we address those functions that can be instigated directly from the key pad.

But pop-ups for one-off functions are very unlikely I'm afraid.

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
IIRC BobD relies completely on the TAP API for timer handling. In addition editing the CT within 3 minutes of it's start time is a limitation set so that the Toppy has "time" to get itself in order to start the recording.

Although my log shows I managed to set the one-off timer with less than 30 seconds left to go. Does this mean MyStuff is conservatively allocating 3 minutes to allow for its own CT processing time?

And, more importantly, what happens when MyStuff runs a scheduled rescan in such circumstances?

Quote:
The clash warning MS provides when a timer has already started is because we cannot currently adjust an ongoing recording via the API, and so we use the warning instead.

But the recording didn't need adjusting. The timer just needed to be set, as it had happily been before. I really don't understand this prohibition. I've just tried something very similar and a "!" is not a warning: such a timer won't record!

Quote:
Lastly, getting the Toppy to add padding to both back2back timers on the same channel, is one of those mysteries that is not limited to MS, it can happen with a TAPless Toppy too.

Ah -- so you're saying that the Toppy will sometimes refuse to set timers that will record two things at once? That's a little strange.

I've just checked my log and initially the CT+OneOff were set seemingly without the padding, and then many hours and shutdowns later the padding was added (although I've just noticed that FpLogger does not consider the end time of a timer when distinguishing them, so I can only see what happened to the second timer).

And I've had loads of recordings with the pair of CTs which have always had the padding removed. The second timer has never been set with padding, not even temporarily (so I guess the Toppy is consistently refusing this one, even though the timers don't occur at the same time every day). In case someone else wants to have a bash at it, the CTs in question are Peppa Pig and Thomas & Friends on Five. They always have the padding removed for me. I'll see if I can try a few different things, but CT priority made no difference (even at opposite ends of my 27 long CT list).